Saturday, February 05, 2011

God IS in Control

Over the last two years I've learned a lesson anew, that I had preached over and over again throughout the last twenty years, that God IS in control.

A while back I wrote a song called "God Cares", where the chorus sings:

God cares, even when you think He doesn't
God cares, I know He cares for you,
God cares, even when you think He's distant,
God cares, for you and me.

It's a simple song but based on a truth.  God cares, He's here, He's aware, He's faithful, and in control, even when we don't think so, or when circumstance are so adverse that we can't believe it.

He's still God.

Over the last two years I've been going through cancer treatments along with my wife who was also diagnosed just weeks after me.   As we went though radiation treatments together, and her with surgery and chemo, one theme constantly kept me going.   God cares and he was in control.

While I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer and it was caught early, my wife of 28 years had suffered colon cancer some ten years ago only to have it reappear in 2009 but in a stage III form.   However, it was how we found out that showed me more than ever the power of God.

It was a Saturday and we had gone for a walk - as we usually did.  After coming home I was preparing for an online seminar when she called me from the bathroom.  She was hemorrhaging huge amounts of blood and hardly conscious.   I called an ambulance and she was rushed to the local emergency room where doctors frantically tried to find the source of the bleeding.

It was grim, she was losing too much blood and going in and out of consciousness.  The doctors ushered me out into the hallway.  I was devastated and the doctors told that she might die from the bleeding.  Suddenly a doctor appeared and said, "If you're going to pray for something, pray that the bleeding source is found".

He then disappeared.  I prayed that, and within two minutes they came out of the room with my wife on a gurney heading for a Cat Scan, but they were now able to stop the bleeding and had transfusions running.  She survived that, and the difficult surgery (supposedly an inoperable tumor) and chemo.

Meanwhile I went through the radiation and the "seed" implant that is common with Prostate cancer.  

As an aside, we had gone through financial reversal a couple of years before this that caused us to sell our house and live in an apartment.

Since I bought an insurance policy for cancer for both of us the money from that policy allowed us to purchase a house, which even during our recovery we bought and moved into.

It's been a long winding road but even so God guided us, cared for us, provided for us, even when at times we wondered if he did.   It's one thing to sing "God Cares" from the pew, another to sing it in the midst of pain and suffering.

You may be going through a lot now, wondering if God really cares.  You might be wondering whether he loves you at all, or even if He really exists at all.

I'm hear to tell you He does care for you and me!

No comments: